Haiti - Bahamas : 179 Haitian Boat people intercepted off the archipelago of Andros - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 Download the revised decree and electoral calendar, published in the official journal





223rd of the flag, Message from the Consul of Haiti in Santiago, DR

Two Haitians return to Haiti after encountering difficulties in Turkey and Malaysia (video)

iciHaïti - 223rd Flag : The Youth Parade, Living Memory of the Bicolor

A delegation from Swiss Cooperation in South, Haiti

Registrations open : Launch of 3 national competitions


more news


Zapping Haiti of May 19, 2026

223rd Anniversary of the Haitian Flag : Message from former Ambassador Bocchit Edmond

Celebration of the 223rd anniversary of the flag at the Haitian Embassy in Paris

223rd Anniversary of the Haitian Flag and University Day

Zapping Haiti of May 18, 2026


more news


Haiti - Bahamas : 179 Haitian Boat people intercepted off the archipelago of Andros
02/03/2022 09:29:42

Haiti - Bahamas : 179 Haitian Boat people intercepted off the archipelago of Andros

The US Coast Guard, after spotting a suspicious sailboat overloaded with passengers on Sunday evening around 11 p.m., intercepted it about 30 km off the archipelago of Andros (Bahamas). This overloaded sailboat had on board 179 illegal Haitians crammed on deck. The Haitians were safely transshipped by the crews of the Coast Guard vessels "Confidence" and "Harriet Lane".

The Coast Guard said the migrants were placed in the custody of the Royal Bahamas Defense Force (RBDF) on Tuesday, recalling that for the current 2021-2022 fiscal year ending in October, the US Coast Guard had already intercepted 993 Haitian migrants who were trying to reach Florida illegally due to the deterioration of social, economic, political and security conditions which push Haitians to flee their country and undertake journeys at sea at the risk of their lives in search of a better world…

Let's recall that in January 2022 another group of 176 Haitian migrants was intercepted near the community of Ocean Reef, north of Key Largo https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35695-icihaiti-usa-the-coast-guard-avoids-a-tragedy-for-176-haitians-off-the-florida-keys.html

The Coast Guard issued a statement Tuesday, March 1st, urging Haitians not to risk their lives trying to illegally immigrate to the United States. Lieutenant Vladimir Jimenez, duty officer in charge of law enforcement at the command center of the 7th Coast Guard district said "Not only is it extremely dangerous, migrants are likely to be returned to their homelands if caught."

See also :

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35823-icihaiti-bahamas-191-haitian-boat-people-intercepted.html

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35809-icihaiti-bahamas-88-haitian-boat-people-intercepted-near-great-inagua.html

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35790-icihaiti-bahamas-118-haitians-repatriated-to-port-au-prince.html

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35695-icihaiti-usa-the-coast-guard-avoids-a-tragedy-for-176-haitians-off-the-florida-keys.html

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35649-icihaiti-bahamas-36-haitian-boat-people-arrested-on-windermere-island.html

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35458-icihaiti-bahamas-108-haitian-boat-people-apprehended-in-matthew-town-great-inagua.html

https://www.icihaiti.com/en/news-35458-icihaiti-bahamas-108-haitian-boat-people-apprehended-in-matthew-town-great-inagua.html

S/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com