Haiti - FLASH : Elections postponed indefinitely - HaitiLibre.com : Haiti news 7/7
 Download the revised decree and electoral calendar, published in the official journal





A delegation from Swiss Cooperation in South, Haiti

Registrations open : Launch of 3 national competitions

Quito 2026 - Haitian roller skater Gesny Pierre-Louis, champion in the Free Jump Senior category (video)

Cap-Haitien : Launch of the RN3 Rehabilitation Project

Reopening of the Cap-Haitien post office


more news


Zapping Haiti of May 18, 2026

Official launch in Haiti of the rehabilitation works on the RD205

The Silent Metamorphosis of Haiti (report)

Haiti - Launch of a national training program to strengthen electoral security…

Zapping Haiti of May 17, 2026


more news


Haiti - FLASH : Elections postponed indefinitely
06/04/2016 09:48:57

Haiti - FLASH : Elections postponed indefinitely

Tuesday, Léopold Berlanger, the President of the new Provisional Electoral Council (CEP), which took office last week, said in his first press conference that the Electoral Council he heads working under "the Constitution and electoral law" and not under the political agreement of February 5, adding "As electoral Council, we do not participate in this agreement [...]"

A statement without nuance, while this new CEP is the direct emanation of this political agreement of February 6, which had to be concluded to fill the void of the Constitution that says nothing in such a situation and allow the continuation of the electoral process, the last electoral decree not providing anything after the end of the term of President Martelly...

Regarding the date for elections the President of the CEP stated, "It is too early to speak of dates [...] the Council is not currently able to set an electoral timetable [...] We will announce the election when we will be ready [...] it is clear that the Board has the authority to say in what time frame the elections can take place [...] We can not talk about the electoral timetable because we do not have all the information needed, because we do not know if there are funds to continue or not [...]"

There is no doubt that the elections scheduled April 24, 2016 in the Agreement of 6 February will be postponed,

what should soon announce soon and officially the Government.

"We want to organize elections that will not create more crises, we want to transform the process so that the elections are normal," announcing that the Council had adopted several decisions to strengthen the process, including the assessment of the performance of last electoral council, the strengthening of the institution, the analysis of municipal elections and the revival of the process. "We must solve the problems before moving forward in the process," declared Léopold Berlanger.

About the desired Verification Commission in particular by the opposition, Léopold Berlanger contradicts the Presidency, who said last week that only the CEP was empowered to set up this Commission, by declaring Tuesday "it is not to the CEP to establish a Commission to verify the results of the first round of presidential elections [...] We are making technical and administrative work, not political."

SL/ HaitiLibre



Twitter Facebook Rss
Send news to... Daily news...




Why HaitiLibre ? | Contact us | Français
Copyright © 2010 - 2026
Haitilibre.com